Sunday, September 2, 2012

Getting Started, Part II

Continued from Part I (see earlier post)

For many people, going through a divorce is a tough thing.  For me, that was certainly the case.  I didn't really have the desire to do much for the next year as I tried to assess what had happened and figure out where I go from here.  Luckily, a good support of friends can really help out during difficult times.

But life goes on and after a period of adjustment and soul searching, it was time to move on.  It just so happened that a group of friends started talking about taking a vacation together and Las Vegas became their destination of choice.  I wasn't sure if I could go there...given what I had been planning a year or so earlier.  But, I REALLY did want to go to Vegas so, I decided to go.

It had been a long time since my first fight at 12 years old.  I was now in my late 30s.  So, I wasn't sure if I would get nervous again.  But I didn't.  As soon as that plane lifted off the ground, it brought back all the excitement of flying I felt the first time.  Overall, I had a good time even though there were moments when I couldn't help but think back to my ex and how much fun we would have had here.  But still, it was an enjoyable trip and it started me getting the fever to do more traveling.

Since that time, I have increased my frequency of travel that required flying from my home in Florida.  I have been to New York City three times (my favorite city to go to by the way...just so much to do and I love the energy of the city even though it is a totally different from where I live...but that's what makes it good), Dallas four times (to see my Dallas Cowboys play), Chicago once, Toronto/Niagara Falls once, and Las Vegas once more since.  In addition, I have taken probably four or five cruises from various ports here in Florida (a few while married and a few since with friends). mostly to the Bahamas and the western Caribbean.  All of these trip I paid for out of pocket so I had to space them out and save money for each in order to pay for them.

This began to fuel my fire.  I really wanted to travel more but it sure was expensive.  It was during this time that I began to obtain a desire to get to Australia and New Zealand on a "trip of a lifetime".  For me, it would be...half way around the world and true overseas travel for the first time.  But I began to look into how much a trip like this would cost and it was staggering.  Cha-ching...MEGA BUCKS.  There just had to be a way....a LEGAL way mind you...to assist me with more frequent vacations and my ultimate trip "down under" without putting me in the poor house and taking out a second mortgage.  And you know what...THERE IS.

MORE IN PART III

No comments:

Post a Comment